Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

Hi! So Im 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have been

Hi! So Im 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have been thinking alot about trying to get the baby on a schedule. Since I'm new to all this and EVERYBODY seems to have an opinion and of course they're all different. lol

So I am wondering if you can give me any advice. Once I bring him home....

Do I wake him up every 4 hours to feed him even if hes sleeping for the first two weeks? Then after the two weeks if he sleeps throughout the night, let him?
I am going to try to nurse him. Do I feed him every so many hours?
How long should it be til I take him out of the house and be around people?
Hello again good JA customer,

Newborn infants who are breast fed will want to eat every 2-3 hours. They should never go more that 4 hours without eating so should be awakened after 4 hours. By 6 weeks (not 2 weeks), if the weight gain is good, you can allow a 6 hour stretch at night. The reason for the frequent feeding is to build up the mild supply. The more baby nurses, the more milk is produced. Breast fed babies who do not want to eat this often may not be getting enough milk...the weight gain says it all.

He should not be around crowds of people for about 2 months. But non-crowded places are not a problem as soon as you feel like going out. Just use common sense and avoid being around people who are sick.

I hope this helps....