Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

We hav trouble getting my 8 year old out of bed in the morning.

We hav trouble getting my 8 year old out of bed in the morning. She is a terific, energetic girl but not an early riser. This causes a lot of stress in the morning to get her ready for school and on the bus. She sleeps through the alarm, and we generally have to ask her several times to get up with progressive forecefullness. She has been able to get up very infrequently and we try to praise her for that, but it seems like taht habit won't take hold. Her older brother is up before everyone and ready to go quickly. Any advice?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more? How is she sleeping though the night? What time is her bedtime? Does she go down easily? What is she eating before bed? Does she sleep in her own room?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. Our daughter sleeps very soundly and through the night (though thunder storms, loud noises, everything). She goes to be around 8:15-8:30 and her alarm goes off at 7am. She goes down easily. As for what she eats, it varies and sometimes she eats pretty close to bedtime so I have tried changing that to no avail. If we let her sleep in on weekends (when we let her stay up a little later), she will sleep till 9 or later. She sleeps alone in her room. Also, after she finally gets up, she is a bit slow but not much. As soon as she is excited by something, she is at full speed. Unfortunately, getting out of bed and ready for school does not excite her.
First and foremost it sounds like you are doing all the right things with her. I am glad she sleeps on her own and through the night. There are some kids as they get older that just require a bit more and may not be morning people. I may suggest trying for her to go to sleep a bit earlier so that she can get that extra hour that she seems to need.
Maybe in her bed at 7:30 with a story and then off to sleep. Let's see if that extra time helps her to get the sleep that her body needs.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.