TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

What kind of risks may be there for a 3 year old child who

What kind of risks may be there for a 3 year old child who will be subjected to parental separation/divorce? What can father do (while not living with the child) to help minimize any negative impact / traumatic event? What does mother need to do? Please note I am looking for best practice, general advice.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,
I commend your desire to help your child through this, there are many people going through a divorce that don't have this clear vision.
My practical advice is that no matter what has led to the split, please keep all of the arguing and stress away from your daughter. Be clear with her in simple terms that Mommy and Daddy won't be living together but you both love her very much. Dad can reassure her with time spent together and keeping the consistency of the routine by not missing visitation or canceling time spent. She will not be able to understand this.
Mom can also do the same and keep the routines and reassure her of her love and the love of her father. No bad mouthing in front of her or within ear shot. Work out the parental issues together and minimize what she needs to deal with. Please be kind to one another in the split...please remember that you were in love and cared for one another and that care needs to continue so you can both help your daughter.