TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

My 6th grade son doesnt interact with his teachers or class

Customer Question

My 6th grade son doesn't interact with his teachers or class mates well. He gets good grades but doesn't always listen. He continues to read when it is time to switch gears and dosen't like to interact with the class. He doesn't talk when they try to get him to cooperate he will just shrug his shoulders or roll his eyes or give them a starring glare. The teachers like him he is smart but they don't know what to do about his behavior. We have had these meetings before. We try to turn things around at home limit computor time and get him to have a better attitude and not to be disrespectful. He keeps his grades up, overall A's & B's. He says he is bord at school but it's not an excuse not to do what is asked of him. He doesn't have good social skills. He has a couple of friends but not in his class and has them over only at times. He loves to read alot and play on the computor. We will have a schedual at home for chores, home work, free time and that seems to help at times but more is needed. He doesn't have any interest in any activities at school and it is very hard to get him to interact with people or kids. Me and my husband are open for suggestions.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
It is not uncommon when a child is smart and maybe smarter than the others around him such as his classmates to feel bored and have some behavioral issues. He may have a need for a higher level of stimulation in the school He most likely becomes introverted because he can entertain himself on the level that he needs to stay interested.
Is it possible to work with the school to get him to be stimulated more by challenging him more? It doesn't seem like he is having enough of a challenge.
Has he been tested for any other issues involving his behavior?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The school probably would offer him more help, but he doesn't participate more than he has to, even in art or writing, his favorite subjects. He has shown a great ability in both of those subjects, but only on his own, not in a structured environment. When the teachers push, he shuts down. If they persist, he gets an attitude. His passions are reading and being on inter-active games via the computer and internet. We tend to use those things as bait, to keep him in order and getting good grades. What more can we do? What are we doing wrong? We can take constructive criticism, just don't know how to change these behaviors.

I do think it is a product of him being bored and not stimulated enough even if he won't rise to the occasion when pushed. if he loves the computer, take it from him once you set the clear boundaries of what you expect by way of respect, etc. No wiggle room..make sure the rules are clear and when he breaks them follow through with the removal of computer and computer games. I might also suggest taking him to a therapist who may also recommend having him tested.