TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

i have recently started a relationship after being a single

i have recently started a relationship after being a single parent for 2 years, my daughter who is 4 likes my boyfriend but ive seemed to notice she wants more attention and has started trying to come in to my bed at night ans wants more attention. shw doesnt see her dad much either, iam tring to reassure her with plenty of love but will this pass?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
I think she is sensing the change for sure and is looking for that reassurance which will come in the form of your actions. Not sure of how much you see your boyfriend but I would suggest that you have your quality and special mommy and daughter time so that she can feel that sense of safety and not fear being replaced. This could also be because she does not see her Dad too much and she could have some worries that she will lose you too. As time goes on and she sees the love between you and your boyfriend and know that you are still with her though it, she will be able to have that sense of safety.
If she has slept on her own I would keep up that routine and walk her back to her room and tuck her in and give her the comfort she is needing while also maintaining the boundaries of what you have already set. Please let me know how else i can support you.