Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

My son diagnosed with ADD last year. He is 8 years old and

My son diagnosed with ADD last year. He is 8 years old and we his parents
are almost 50 with this being our only child.. so we have spoiled him and do not have the best parenting skills. Teachers/doctors want us
to try drugs, we tried for two months last year but the results were awful
(tried different doses as well) and we really don't want him on them..this year
he continues to disrupt his class, he is able to do his work. There seems to
be a big difference between his morning teacher's class and afternoon. Mornings
he has no problems at all, teacher is more strict and doesn't let him get away with
anything and the afternoon teacher is the opposite. What are your thoughts?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for being so open and your willingness to try some things.
It is hard and can take some time to get the right dose for a child...if you have the inclination it may be good to try again and give it some more time. I know that is not easy to hear.
The other thing is that he might do well in the morning class because as you say his teacher is more strict and in addition to that he might get tired by the afternoon and have more difficulty concentrating.
In terms of your parenting, I would definitely suggest some tighter boundaries on things to deal with the disruptions and for things to feel consistent everywhere. If he knows you are more lax he will push until he wears you down. There is nothing wrong with loving him and spoiling him with that love, but you are not hurting him by having firm boundaries and being consistent on things. He will be better for it. Please spoil him...with your love and your nurturing but remember you are the parent, you set the rules and you enforce them. If you are not consistent will see this and take advantage...all kids do.
Let me know how else I can support you.
To sum up:
1-Set the boundary
2-be consistent
3-Follow through
4-Stay strong-
5-Talk with the teachers to see what is working and what isn't.
Let me know your thoughts.
Coach Jen K., LCSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.