TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

My six year old I feel really needs to go to bed and be asleep

Customer Question

My six year old I feel really needs to go to bed and be asleep by 7.30 p.m. My other half insists this is too early - although he is not primary care giver or the one who makes the meals or takes her to school. It is doing my head in as I just feel he is not working to help my mothering. What to do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.

JenK :

Hi. Thank you for joining me. Please forgive any typos as I get very immersed in my work with you and my brain may go faster than my fingers.

JenK :

I always like to suggest to parents to present a united front when it comes to our kids. I would suggest the two of you sitting down together and seeing where he is and what he would like in terms of bed time for her. If he would like her to go to bed later because he doesn't have enough time with her, then maybe when he gets home from work that could be his time with her to read books and tuck her in. If that is not the case then checking in with him to see why he would like it later? How is your relationship between the tow of you? If she is not able to handle it being a bit later and is cranky and tired then you will both have the evidence that the bed time you have chosen is an appropriate time for her.

Customer :

Response not relevant thanks.

JenK :

Not sure I understand.

JenK :

Please elaborate so I can better understand what you are asking since you feel my response above was not relevant.