TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

I am very upset and unsure what to do as I have just discovered

Customer Question

I am very upset and unsure what to do as I have just discovered my 7yr old son was waking in the middle of the night and going on my computer and watching internet porn. When I suspected that he may have been on my computer I did a history search and all the internet sites come up that he was on. This was not just regular porn but some really disturbing stuff. When i asked him why he did it he said a friend at school told him what to look up and it made him feel grown up. The whole thing makes me feel sick and I am unsure of how to handle the situation. I feel that his innocence has been taken forever and that these inappropriate porn sites are his first (that I know of) introduction to sex and this will affect him for life. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Category: Parenting
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.

JenK :

Hi. Thank you for joining me. Please forgive any typos as I get very immersed in my work with you and my brain may go faster than my fingers.

JenK :

I am sorry for the discomfort you are in right now. As kids get older and they learn from other kids they begin to explore and their natural curiosity takes over. I know how terribly upsetting this is and I hate to even say what is normal here. He is quite young and you do have the ability to control this in your home. Parental blocks can be put on all of the computers in the house so he is unable to access these sites. You may also set the boundary as to what is appropriate for him at this age and that watching porn is not and there are consequences if he breaks that rule. You may also at the same time sit down with him and begin a light discussion about questions he may have and again you are the parent so you can decide the level you want to dialogue with him about this. If he is sneaking to see it now, it is possible that he and this other boy are sneaking to see it elsewhere and you may want to have an easy going discussion with the other parents about what is going on. If you feel that he is unable to stop this behavior then I would suggest you bring him to a counselor to address these issues.