TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

Apparently my 6 year old daughter and two of her friends have

Apparently my 6 year old daughter and two of her friends have been showing each other their private parts and using a water dampened paint brush to touch each other's parts. (???) They were hiding in the closet to do it. I just found out today and told my daughter not to do that anymore, that private parts need to be kept private. I called the other moms to let them know. I think this is normal curiosity. I asked my daughter if a grown-up or anyone else had ever done anything like that and she said no. They were playing "evil doctor" - the evil part was putting hair clips on their shirt sleeves...?! Anyway, am I right not to be too concerned? Thanks.

JenKMom :

Hi. Thank you for joining me. Please forgive any typos as I get very immersed in my work with you and my brain may go faster than my fingers.

JenKMom :

Sounds like you did all the right things. This seems to be part of the natural curiosity that all kids go through.

JenKMom :

I am glad that you dug deeper to make sure nothing else has happened

Customer:

That's how I feel about it, and my friends (the other moms) seem to agree.

JenKMom :

Keep an eye on things and your gut will be your great guide as it has already been.

Customer:

Should I let it drop now and say nothing further?

Customer:

Sorry - I didn't see your other response. Ha - thanks for getting back with me so quickly.

JenKMom :

If you feel comfortable with how you already handled it with her then yes and keep an eye out for further behavior that feels different than natural curiosity

Customer:

Perfect. Thanks for the reassurance.

JenKMom :

My pleasure and just know you were right on target even without me.

Customer:

Thanks - have a good night! Signing off...

JenKMom :

you too. If you feel our time was helpful please hit the accept button