lifecoach28
lifecoach28, Child Care
Experience:  Assisting with single parenting, parenting with an ex, adult children with parent problems and all other parenting concerns.
64581918

I was divorced when my daughter was 2 and a half. She lives

I was divorced when my daughter was 2 and a half. She lives with me full time and sees her dad every other weekend and every Tuesday.

She was potty trained at the time.

She has recently started wetting the bed. Even if I wake her up a few times a night she will still pee by morning.

Her dad is getting remarried. Could that be something to do with it? How can I handle her wetting the bed with out making her feel like she is bad?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

JenKMom :

Hi. Thank you for joining me. Please forgive any typos as I get very immersed in my work with you and my brain may go faster than my fingers.

JenKMom :

How old is she now?

JenKMom :

Is she also wetting the bed when she is staying at your ex-husbands home?

Customer:

She will be 4 in March

Customer:

And I don't know he doesn't mention it

Customer:

But I know she sleeps in pull ups at his house

Customer:

she wasn't needing to for a long time and now she pees everynight

JenKMom :

It does sound to me as if she is having a reaction to something maybe his getting married is bringing up some fears and anxieties around loss

Customer:

How can I help her and stop the wetting of the bed

JenKMom :

Are you open to bringing her to a therpaist specializing in children where she can talk or play and express her feelings?

Customer:

Well I took her to one and he said he behavior looked normal

JenKMom :

She might not even be aware of the anxieties but with the right questions from a professional and the supportive atmosphere she might be able to express herself.

JenKMom :

It is possible that kids do take a step back, but she is also being confused by pull ups at his house and underwear at yours. She doesnt know while she is sleeping which one she is in

Customer:

I see

Customer:

Should I just put her in pull ups?

JenKMom :

I believe a sit down with your ex needs to take place so that you are all on the same page. It could just be a simple matter of confusion for her.

JenKMom :

how long has she been doing ok in underwear at night before this started? and how long has the wetting been happening?

JenKMom :

Are you still with me?

Customer:

I am

Customer:

I can't sit down with my ex his new wife wont let me

Customer:

But maybe I can express it in an email

Customer:

It started about 3 months ago

JenKMom :

ok well how do you two communicate about your daughter? Only though email?

Customer:

We sometimes talk or text or email.

Customer:

Mostly we don't. I am in charge of everything and he just plays with her every other weekend

Customer:

he doesn't pay child support or anything

JenKMom :

I am struck that you share a child and he will not set a boundary with the new wife to be that talks are crucial between tow parents

JenKMom :

Ok i am seeing the full picture. Then how would you like to proceed? Pull ups or no pull ups?

Customer:

I guess thats what I am asking

Customer:

should I continue to try and wake her 3 or 4 times a night? or just stick to pull ups and see if she grows out of it

JenKMom :

I understand your question and I am sorry to punt it back to you but you know your child well and know whether she will do better to go with pull ups for a while or not.

JenKMom :

Sometimes kids do backtrack but I can really see how the confusion for her is not helping so it has to be consistent one way or the other in both homes.

JenKMom :

I am still here wanting to help you.

Expert:  lifecoach28 replied 2 years ago.
Often children wet the bed as they grow older. It does not have to be due to stress. It could be that she has begun to sleep so hard at that time of night that she does not realize she needs to go to the restroom. It could be that she thinks she won't pee as long as she is not on the toilet. With children there are many possibilities. If she has a pattern of peeing in the bed at a certain time of night, it might be easier to wake her up around that time. You've been waking her up a few times a night, so you know the times of night that the bed is still dry. Wake her up to use the restroom between the latest time you have been waking her and her usual time she gets up for the day. For example, you may have been waking her at 10pm, 11pm and 12am and found the bed dry. Then you would start by waking her around 1am, 2am and 3am. Soon you will figure out her usual time and you will be able to wake her up before wetting the bed

Also, at this age she understands that she is responsible for getting to the restroom on time, so don't be afraid to make this a group effort. In other words, you can discuss with her that you want to help her avoid peeing in the bed. You can tell her to expect that you will try to wake her through the night and have her use the bathroom. You can even encourage her to go to the restroom on her own by leaving the bathroom light on at night. If your hall way is dark, try leaving a night light in the hallway tool.

Pullups are an option but depending on them is not. I know you don't want to take her backwards. So you could use pullups in addition to helping her get to the restroom before wetting the bed. And the pullups would only be used at night for a short period of time. Let me know if any of this helps.
lifecoach28, Child Care
Experience: Assisting with single parenting, parenting with an ex, adult children with parent problems and all other parenting concerns.