Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

to make a loooong story short, me and my ex have been divorced

to make a loooong story short, me and my ex have been divorced for 8 years both of us are remarried and we have no kind of realtionship. however, we have a 15 year old son. Thus my delima. My ex lives next door to his parents, and im not being ugly by saying this but his mother is not right in the head. when my son was born it all began. i stayed with him the first 8weeks of his life then i HAD to return to work. the ex mother inlaw volunteered to baby sit at no charge to help us out ( or so i thought)! I would drop him off of the morning after feeding him breakfast and bathing and dressing him. I also packed everything he needed for the day plus extra. when i would come back to pick him up he was ALWAYS dressed in something we hadnt bought him. This was puzzling to me but i let it go. as he got older everytime we would buy something for him she would buy one of the same things for her house. The most disturbing thing came when she admitted to me that she loved my son more than she did her own! Thats just crazy in my book! We were in and out of court over child support and visitation for 2 years. still after the divorce ( i got primary custody) if i bought my son something no matter what it was she would by him the same thing for her house. When it was my ex husbands time to have him he would always leave him with the his mother. Now to the problem, the court ordered us to have joint custody and for my son to stay with his dad not his grandparents. Even my exes attorney advised him to "keep your mom out of this its none of her business". Well my son is 15 now and they have completely turned him against me. He wont stay with me, call, text me or anything. my ex has 2 more sons now and i no my son is somewhat jealous thats only normal but my ex nor his family will encourage my son to do right by me. He continues to stay with the grandparents, they continue to buy him ANYTHING he wants and let him do whatever he likes. I had rules he had to abide by and he had to earn money by helping out around the house. I am at my witts end and heartbroken, I have tried everthing i no to do to reach out to my son and its to no avail! What should i do next? Please help i am lost and heartbroken!!!!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

Hi, Please give me one moment to continue reading and absorbing

Customer:

ok

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

I am sad for your heartbreak and it sounds like a devastating situation. nothing worse than to have a break with your Son due to others lack of repspect for your relationship.

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

As bad as things are with the grandparents is there a way to have a coffee with them to talk about the importance of the mother son relationship?

Customer:

I would do anything but they said if i even pulled in the driveway they would call the law on me for trepassing, so no thats not an option. In her mind i really think she thinks she's MY sons mother!

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

That does sound terrible. do you have the law on your side with the custody arrangement being that he is supposed to be living with your ex?

Customer:

Yes maam i do, but they have my son so confused it would only make matters worse if i involved the law

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

If you have joint custody is he staying with you at all? i am desirous of you having some alone time with him not to slam or degrade the grandparents but to remind him of your love for him

Customer:

NO he wont have any commucation with me at all. He really gets fused at if he even trys

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

It is awful to even say this but are you able to go a period of time giving him some space?

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

Not easy I know

Customer:

I have given him ample space that is why im talking with you now. Me and my husband lost our home in a fire 2 months ago and his dad brought him to the house while everyone was there and it burning. He told me at that time "mom i waited to long to come home now its gone". He knows what he is doing is wrong but he has noone to encourage him to do whats right

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

I feel your pain and I support you in how you are feeling. I know you don't want to get the law involved for fear of alienating him further but if you feel he is not being taken care of in an appropriate way such as speaking and destroying his relationship with you then I think it is best to get someone involved maybe even through the school

Customer:

I no that would only make things worse

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

is your usual way of communicating with him through text? If so, I would continue to let him know you are there when he is ready

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

does that feel doable?

Customer:

we have always spoke on the phone and text both but i have tried both ways especially over the holidays only for it to fall on deaf ears. if i sent him a text reminding him he is doing me wrong (she sneeks and looks at his phone) they would come up with something else negative to say about me

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

well maybe the tenor should be more about you love him and are there when he is ready

Customer:

I NO he knows how very much i love him! if i do that i feel it would only say to him that i condone his behaviour

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

I think he is fully aware that you don't condone his behavior and my worry is if you continue to tell him he has doen you wrong that he will move further from you and harder to reconnect. you might say something like, while I don't agree with your decisions, I love you and am here when you are ready.

Customer:

I will try that thans for your time

JACUSTOMER-cj3k91r3- :

My pleasure. I know that you are in a tough spot and I do hope I provided a measure of comfort and support

Coach Jen K., LCSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.