proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My four year old son (4 years, 4 months) is mostly potty trained

My four year old son (4 years, 4 months) is mostly potty trained but some days (mostly when we are at home) he will have urinary accidents 3 to 4 times a day. If we ask, "do you need to go potty?" He will generally say no. If posed as "let's go potty." Half the time he will say "I don't need to" and then have an accident within half an hour. Obviously, he will eventually outgrow this... What can I do to help him?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. If all medical issues have been ruled out after consulting your son's pediatrician, then his actions are normal. Because he is a boy, he is probably very busy and active and just does not take the time to actually stop and use the restroom. Other more exciting things are occupying his mind. Therefore, you must make him go to the bathroom, pull his pants down, and make him stand or sit at least a minute or two to try to use the bathroom. This must be done every hour to train him to stop and take the time to use the restroom. This is probably a phase but you do not want these accidents happening when he starts Kindergarten :)