proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

my teenage stepson is struggling with getting a saturday job

my teenage stepson is struggling with getting a saturday job whilst doing his a levels.he has lost the little confidence he had, doesnt interact socially with anyone outside of school, and tends to stay in his room most of the time. he hasnt been encouraged to learn life skills or any independence by his mum or dad, and i want to build his confidence without being negative into developing life skills. any tips would be gratefully received
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Ansnwer. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your step son. It sounds as though he is a teen ager who probably secludes himself in the house playing video games and watching tv. He first needs to start interacting with others. If there are relatives nearby that are his age, have them start coming over and going out and doing things outside of the house. If he is sports minded, put him on an team not just at school but an intramural team centered from one of your local parks. If you go to church, get him involved and going to the youth group services. If he refuses to attend any of these functions and his behavior seems to be getting worse, seek professional counseling for him. He needs to learn coping and intervention strategies from a neutral source like counselor or a psychologistbwho can help him come out of his shell. He needs assistance in learning how to be more social. He cannot continue to live so alone. He must also be a little depressed with low self esteem.