proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

We are consistently getting feedback from our sons first grade

Customer Question

We are consistently getting feedback from our son's first grade teacher that he is not following instructions in class and not completing his work at "centers". He is just over 6 1/2 (will be 7 in April)...He seems to like school and he is a good student (meaning he does not appear to have any difficulties learning and consistently gets high marks) so not sure why this is happening or what to do about it.

We are also noticing at home that when we ask him to do something, he says he forgot (or sometimes acts like he didn't hear us at all) and we end up needing to ask him multiple times to complete whatever he's been asked to do.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Unfortunately his teacher tends to outline the problem but not offer recommendations on what might help...Not sure if this is just a phase? If he's not being challenged so is bored?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Ok...I will give this some thought and will respond in a bit with an answer as I have a great deal of experience with first graders.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds great - let me know if you need more information...I will be offline for a bit in a few minutes as I need to pick up my boys...but will check email as well...
Hello. What you may need to do is to visit the school and to observe the classroom activities on a few occasions. Maybe you can go and your spouse can go to get a different perspective. Your son may be distracted by other students who simply fool around in the classroom, fail to listen, and leave much work incomplete. Such students may be friends of your son and he just wants to fit in and be like them at school as well as at home with his inattentiveness and poor listening skills. Additionally, the teacher may not have the best classroom management skills, especially if she is rather old and near retirement or a relatively brand new teacher. Furthermore, he may not be challenged and feels like, "Why should I complete this baby work? ". Therefore, you must first visit the classroom. Pay attention to your son's actions, other students in the class, how the teacher keeps the students engaged and on task, and classroom management. Then you will need to have a conference with the teacher without being too negative. Discuss actions related to your son and behavioral techniques the teacher plans to utilize to assist your son. Mention a behavior contract to the teacher for your son to get him back on track. If your conference gets you absolutely no where and your son is getting worse in class, then your next step is to conference with the principal.Hope this helps! Happy Wednesday!