KaterB1270
KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching

I have a dilemma. I love my job, its ideal for location, hours,

Customer Question

I have a dilemma. I love my job, it's ideal for location, hours, free childcare for daughter (age 8) and future career as well as being small intimate and enjoyable (i'm in my daughter's after school & breakfast club). However it's not proving ideal for daughter. As she is in school from 8am-6pm we have no time for homework (we do it all on sunday but need to practice over week) and i'm worried about other things as well, eg she is in the lower ability maths group and is also having probs socially in playground (she is being given support for this at school) I don't want to change jobs but obviously daughter is my no 1 & her education is really important :( Any time at end of day daughter needs to unwind not do maths! I am a single parent and she is an only child. What can I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 2 years ago.

KaterB1270 : Good morning
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I can tell by your question that the situation with your job and daughter has put a lot of stress on you. My first advice is to take a breath... The reason I say this is because as a fellow mom I know how much we worry about our children. I am also a teacher and I know know the value of education. Your really are in a hard situation. I think the best thing to do would be two fold. First I would start looking for other possible positions that would be doable with your situation. I would not tell anyone at work for now as this can cause a problem all of it's own. I would compare hours, pay rate, benefits, child care options as well as working conditions. If you find something that looks worth looking into do so. Be sure to evaluate all sides of the job before making any decisions. Also be sure to give at least 2 weeks notice to your current employer which should keep you from burning any bridges and allow the possibility of return in the future. As a second part I would continue the hard work you have been doing both for your daughter and yourself. Would it be possible to have a tutor during the after school program? If this would be possible I wold suggest a tutor twice to three times a week to give your daughter the one on one support she needs. I think this would help a lot with the lack of time you have to do homework in the evening. As far as social skills are concerned hang in there. Social development in young ladies can be difficult. Continue working with the school and if possible get her involved in an activity. If she loves to sing maybe a vocal group. If she loves to run maybe a runners club. By getting her involved she will have another chance to make friends as well as practice social skills. I also wanted to thank your for the hard work you have done as a mother. I know this often goes unsaid but you are doing a great job and she appreciates all of your care and concern.Inhopenthe answer above is helpful. If you need anything more please do not hesitate to ask. Also please accept my answer as this is the only way I am compensated for my time nKate
I hope that I have helped with your situation please ACCEPT my answer as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. Thank you so much.

Kate