proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 1 year old grandson is a constant screamer whether he is

My 1 year old grandson is a constant screamer whether he is upset or just being vocal. His screaming is piercing and my daughter is exhausted from it. He eats relatively well but loses interest easily and wants out of his highchair. My daughter offers him healthy snacks while he is on the go to insure that he is getting enough to eat since he is only in the 15% for weight. Since birth he has been a short napper taking only 30 minutes to and 1 hour twice a day. He is awake for the day by 5 am. to 6 am., by 6:30 pm. he is exhausted and in bed for the night with waking up several times during the night. He is in constant motion throughout the day and is always clinging to his parents legs wanting to be picked up. I'm am concerned about my daughter's health and wondering if my grandson should be checked for sensory problems or some other medical problem.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Has your grandson had his last check up at 12 months with his pediatrician?
I have some suggestions for you which I will provide when I return to the office in a bit. I will assist you.
If your grandson has not had his one year old check up, make sure to discuss the issues with the pediatrician for a thorough evaluation even though things seem to sound completely normal.Just to ease everyone's concerns and frustrations, the actions of your grandson seem within the normal range of development. He screams because that is his way to communicate since he probably does not have the ability to say many words. Since he is not an infant and is a little older, he is becoming overwhelmed with emotions. He may not really know what he wants or may not really know what to do. He also may be feeling insecure as separation anxiety is settling in. Therefore, his only outlet is to scream. Sometimes your daughter must ignore the screaming. Your grandson needs to learn that screaming is not the way to get what you want. Even though his activity level may seem like that of the Energizer Bunny, he is fine. He likes to be involved and doing things. Keep him engaged and active. As for the sleeping habits, they are typical. Waking up several times during the night may be a result of pain from teething, separation anxiety, the uncomfortable feeling of a wet diaper, etc. As long as he is going back to sleep then there should be no need for concern.As for his weight issues, the pediatrician can monitor the weight progress. Children are often very picky eaters at this age. If your grandson is not gaining weight or losing weight, then you should be concerned. He does sound on the smaller side but should be fine as long as he is continuing to actually eat.Nonetheless, having a toddler is a bumpy road. There will be good days and bad days. It is exhausting but worth every minute. If your daughter feels overwhelmed by her parenting experiences, she may want to seek counseling just to learn intervention and coping strategies in dealing with her son. She is not alone on this journey. Her feelings are completely normal and your grandson sounds just fine. However, it does not hurt to discuss any concerns with his pediatrician as well. Enjoy your grandson. Encourage your daughter.Have a great week!