Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

Hey, my step daughter climbed into our bad last night and said

Hey, my step daughter climbed into our bad last night and said she had a bad dream.

She says that someone was taking her away from daddy, what does this mean?

She currently resides with her mother and we have contact with the children.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey, Yes we are still waiting for an answer and would still like one as this child is have more nightmares.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding.
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Was this the first time that this has happened with your daughter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that one was, however it has become a reoccurring theme about every 2nd night. when i asked her about the person taking her she could not tell me a name and said she has never seen her before but she described in detail her older step sister (her mothers partners daughter).
I will refer you to Pediatrics.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

So just to clarify....you are step-mother and dreams are occurring at your house when she is visiting her Daddy and you. Right? How old is she? Has the schedule with Daddy and you changed recently? Any other changes? Does older step-sister live at mother's?

Be back as soon as possible....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i am her step mother, she is 7 years old, her schedule has not changed but we have moved house recently. she had not seen us for 3 months prior to this visit as her mother would not allow them to visit. yes her older step sister does live at her mothers house.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,
The nightmares may be an expression of her feelings about being away from her Daddy for 3 months. Step-sister "figure" represents the "mean" person who took Daddy away. Sub-consciously she may be angry with mother for the 3 month separation but cannot let that anger surface for some reason (afraid?, mixed feelings about mother?). She may be able to benefit from some child therapy so that she has an impartial place to express her feelings verbally without fear of adults reaction.

I hope this helps...warm regards,
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience: and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.