KaterB1270
KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching
63942956

My granddaughter will be 3 in a week. She lives with her parents.

My granddaughter will be 3 in a week. She lives with her parents. Since she was 2, she's been "balancing" on the corners of furniture and seems to be stimulating herself that way. (She supports herself with her hands and rocks on the corners.) She is loathe to be interrupted - but doesn't have full blown orgasms either. The other thing happening is that she's begun to withhold her BM's for 5-7 days, at which time they are of course very painful to pass. Her parents are administering various stool softeners, smooth move tea etc, but the problem seems to be more one of will than physical difficulty. I think she gets afraid that the BM will hurt, so avoids it as long as possible, and then the fears get reinforced with the pain. She seems to be using the "balancing" to resist the BM. She mostly does the balancing when she feels the need to poop, and will balance several times a day.

Any ideas on how to approach this problem?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 2 years ago.
At her age it is typical to have elimination problems. Some children have issues with urination, others with bedwetting, and like your grand daughter with having bowel movements. My first suggestion would be to change her diet. Add more foods with fiber which will increase the urge to have a bowel movement. I would also add a clear fruit juice such as apple juice. Apple juice tends to soften the stool which would decrease the pain she feels. If neither of those things help I would consult your doctor about using a gentle laxative product. I have used granular laxitive with children with great success. If they must use the laxative project be sure to keep track of amounts as well as strengths used. Once they are able to increase the urge to go they will need to retrain her body into having a bowel movement daily or every 36 hours or so. As far as the balancing issue I believe it will be a thing if the past once the bowel movement issue is cleared up. If I can be of any other assistance please don't hesitate to ask. KatePlease accept my answer as this is the only way I am compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How does one "retrain her body into having a BM daily or every 36 hrs?!?
The best way to go about this would be to start with the new diet or laxative for a few days. This will help her body feel the urge to go. Then after 3-4 days sit her on the potty every day right after breakfast. Set a timer for 5 minutes and either give her a book to look at or read her a book while she is sitting on the potty. This will take her mind off the bowel movement and she will relax which will help her go. The next thing you should do is start a sticker chart every time she sits in the potty for the 5 minutes she gets a sticker if she has a bowel movement then she gets two stickers. Work with her to pick a small prize that she would lime to work for and set a number of stickers she has to earn. Then once she earns enough stickers she gets her prize. Consistency is key with this retraining. Try to have her sit at the same time every day as the body will become acoustumed to this. Also add more water into her diet. After a few weeks (sometimes more) her body will just expect to have a bowel movement at this time. Keep working hard and again please ask anything else you would like to.
KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience: BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching