proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have a 6yr old son, who does well in school and has a lot

I have a 6yr old son, who does well in school and has a lot of friends. I am a full time father who has him Monday thru Friday, as he is with his mother on the weekends. My question and concern is, anytime he plays any type of game, and loses, he gets mad or upset, and knocks the game over, or walks away mad. I have him in a jr wrestling program currently, he does great when he wins, but if the other child takes him down, he starts screaming loudly and crying, and immediately gives up. Not sure what to do? Thank you.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Your son's actions are very common for his age. As a parent, keep him involved with other children but you need to tell him about winning, losing, and being a good sport no matter what the outcome is. You can practice this at home with him by playing simple board games. Tell him that it only matters that he never gives up . You must teach him this constantly through many experiences. That is the only way he will learn. Even tell him about some of your failures at work or as a young child in terms that he can understand so he realizes that it is alright not be be perfect. Make sure also that you do not place too much emphasis on always being the winner. A winner never quits and a quitter never wins.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have followed your suggestions prior to asking the question, I have said it is ok to lose, just dont give up, as recent as yesterday, as soon as the other child beat him, he sat on the mat crying refusing to shake the other childs hand, his coach had to physically pick him up off the mat and carry him to shake hands with the other child. Do I keep him in wrestling if the outcome is always this when he loses? thank you
If he is having trouble with wrestling, try a team sport rather than an individual sport. He may not be mature enough to handle individual sports right now.