JaRee1993, Family Counselor
Experience:  Licensed to do family counseling including parenting skills

I have a question concerning parenting. I have a 17 year old

Customer Question

I have a question concerning parenting. I have a 17 year old very good daughter. She has been on a basketball team for 5 years. She is second string due to a new girl coming to the school the coach basically recruited. He leaves her sit on the bench At the beginning of the year she was doing great. The new girl was out. She improved beyond anyone s expectations. As soon as the other girl was well he took her out. The other player was only slightly better at a few skills. My daughter is ignored by the coach and only put on when her team is up by 50 for 3 minutes. The problem. She was a straight a student until the extra time needed for basketball. She now is a b average. She chooses not to put any extra effort into her practice. Only does what she has to do. We go to every game to see her wasting time to just be with her friends. I to,d her last night when she was put in at the end and missed all her shots. It is decision time. Either she puts extra work into her game instead of watching tv it I am pulling her off the team. Ugh. I didnt want her to be a quitter or lose her friends. It is an important year to for academics. Junior in high school. She nor any of the other girls on the team will talk to the coach nor the parents due to fear of his rath against the children. She has refused to put any extra work into her game for five years. I can t stand to see her humiliated any longer. She has a heart of gold. At this point both my husband and I are thinking of not going o any more of her games if she refuses or finds excuses not to add even 30 min to get better. We love our daughter and want to do the right thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Category: Parenting
Expert:  JaRee1993 replied 4 years ago.

JaRee1993 :

Hello, My name is Ja`Ree and I am a mental health counselor. It sounds as though the game is not as important to your daughter as you would like for it to be. Have you talked with her to see if she wants to continue to play? Is she maybe interested in doing something else? It sounds as though that you need to sit down as a family and talk about whether or not she wants to continue playing or if she would be happier doing something else. With her being 17 it is important to keep the lines of communication open between you and her so that you can help her make the right decisions for herself when the time comes for her to graduate and move on with her life. Let me know if I can assist you further with this issue. Thank you.