KaterB1270
KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching

my 2 year old daughter has never slept all night even as a

my 2 year old daughter has never slept all night even as a baby, its got worse as shes got older. i have tried everything i can think of but nothing works. she either wakes up a couple of hours after her bedtime and stays up for atleast 4-5 hours or she wakes up every hour-hour and half. its affecting her behaviour too. her development is fine, maybe even abit forward for her age. the dr also prescribed her  some medicine to make her sleep, that didnt even work .i would be grateful for any help
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.

ParentingMD :

What is her day time schedule for sleep / naps?
Does she sleep at all in the day?

ParentingMD :

What about activities?

Customer:

she sleeps a hour the most around midday but not everyday, ive tried to stop this nap but even if she doesnt have 1 she still dont sleep at night. shes an active toddler plays with her older sister (age 4) she is busy most of the day

ParentingMD :

To be honest, this is a well known issue with toddlers, and the only thing that works in my opinion (other than a specific bed time routine), is getting the child to "burn off" the excess energy that leads to these episodes of disrupted sleep

ParentingMD :

You would want to rule out any underlying problem though,

ParentingMD :

Here are the red flags for possible sleep disorder in toddlers

ParentingMD :

Sometimes a "comfort toy" may help in getting the child back to sleep too

ParentingMD :

Let your child bring toys or comfort objects to bed. A comfort object can help ease fears and separation anxiety in the middle of the night. This can be a favorite blanket or teddy bear or stuffed animal. Don't worry about your child playing with the object for awhile before he falls asleep. It may be easier for your child to soothe himself to sleep without you if he has an object to hold onto.

ParentingMD :

Finally here are some parents view of how they have dealt with similar sleep issues in toddlers,

ParentingMD :

The goods news is that "this too shall pass" it is a developmental thing for most toddlers, though I share your concern regarding the sleepless nights for you and the child :) being the parent of a toddler myself

ParentingMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 2 years ago.
I would try to set up a more calming bed time routine. Children thiS age thrive on routine. A bedtime snack, bath/ shower, book and snuggles seems to be a great routine. If you choose you can add a short massage in with a relaxing lotion such as lavender calming lotion by Johnson and Johnson. I would then be sure the room is a good Temperature not too cold or hot. I would be sure to have a night light both in the room and in the hallway near the room. The next thing I would do is turn on some classical music or a white noise machine. The next very important thing is consistency. Once you stat a routine you need to keep Jo with it. Is stick with the same bedtime and waking time to ensure her natural clock is working well. I would try this for 3-4 weeks. I would also return The child back in crib or bed to her bed or crib anytime she may wake. Tell in a soft calming tone that it is bed time, you love her, and leave the room. This is not easy at first but will make you live easier in the future. If it becomes a habit with her getting out of bed keep in mind that it didn't start in one day and it won't change in one day either.

Keep working hard and things will work out.
Please accept my answer as a sign of the usefulness of my answer.

Thanks,
Kate
KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience: BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching