Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent

I have a 15 month old daughter who is not wanting to go to

I have a 15 month old daughter who is not wanting to go to sleep. Screaming, gasping for air is the norm. We typically will pick her up when she stands at the edge of her crib screaming for us, but quickly return her to the mattress when she stops crying. Then the process seems to repeat itself a few times. Sometimes, it takes 2 hours to put her down. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Hello. This is a very common question and happens a lot with young kids. There can be many reasons for this, the most common being that you are waiting too long to put her to bed and she is over tired. Are you doing a bed time routine for her, such as a bath, brushing teeth, bed time story, then bed? Also, what is her feeding schedule prior to bed? Routines can play a big part of it as well. You are not alone in this issue. Lots of parents go through this and the good news is that it is generally a phase and it can also be resolved with some simple changes in what you are doing. There is a big debate between the people who believe in letting them cry it out and the "no cry" methods. I think there is a healthy medium between the two. You want to make sure that they know you are there for them, but at the same time, do not let them get spoiled as to expecting to be picked up every time they get upset.