Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
45897396

Hi I am at the end of my teacher my child will not sleep until

Customer Question

Hi I am at the end of my teacher my child will not sleep until he falls on the sofa after a couple of hours he will and be full of life like he has had full nights sleep and will not go in his bed. He screams and shouts until he gets what he wants and he don't get it he will hit out at me or his younger brother. However I punish him it don't seem to bother him. Please any advice would be very great full?? Many thanks Karrie
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I am sorry to hear about what is going on. I would need you to elaborate about what is going on in his life to know better about what is going on with him. So please elaborate so that I will be in a better position to answer your question.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Let me explain something to you in the meantime until you elaborate further and let me know what is going on.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Children don't sit down and tell us what they are upset about/ what is bothering them. They act out. They show destructive behaviour. Because children don't talk that's why we child therapists do play therapy with children. The child when in a therapist's office will engage in play and then the therapist can interpret what is going on. Only by bringing him to a child therapist will you be able to determine what is going on with him. There is no way to guess what is going on without knowing further details. So to both diagnose and treat the behaviour given the seriousness of his actions, it sounds like he needs some professional intervention.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

Punishing him will not resolve the issue.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

How old is he?

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

His acting out behaviour is his way of crying out for help,

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

As I said kids cannot sit down and tell us what is wrong.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

They show the kind of acting out behaviour that your son is showing.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

You there?

JACUSTOMER-sv8fb0tb- : Sorry Charlie was playing up. Charlie is 3 and 3 months. He goes to preschool 5 mornings a week and does have out burst of hurting the other children but not as often as at home. Seems to stick to playing with one little girl he has made friends with.
JACUSTOMER-sv8fb0tb- : if there is anything else you would like to no please tell me
Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I think what would help the most is to bring him to a child therapist. Basically what you want to do is to get to understand what the acting out behaviour is about. A child therapist after a few meetings with you and Charlie will be able to diagnose what is going on. Unfortunately, one cannot diagnose online.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I am going to give you a link to the Anna Freud Centre. The very best place for child treatment. Contact them and ask for someone in your area.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I see that you are offline now. I'll pause here and await your response to see if there is anything you would like to add so that we may continue with our chat. Do add whatever you want and then when I check back I'll respond. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your questions, please click on ACCEPT and leave feedback. Bonuses are always appreciated. You can always ask more questions even after you have clicked on Accept. Just put Dr. Shirley Schaye before your response and I will be the one to respond.