Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

i have a twelve year old daughter who has recently come to

i have a twelve year old daughter who has recently come to live with myself and my fiancee. we live in the caribbean and recently moved to a housing development that has a small playground 8 minutes away from our house. we've decided to give her a little bit of trust by allowing her to walk to the park with her friend that sleeps over from time to time. there is a basketball court there that will sometimes have boys ranging in age from 8-15 years old. recently i have started having doubts about allowing her to go without supervision. and her 7 year old sister is now also wanting to go with her to the park. would appreciate some advice on this please.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

Your decision should be based upon gathering more information. Does 12 year old have a history of using poor judgment or getting into trouble? Does the playground have a history of children who are getting into trouble? Is it in a safe area? (you might ask the local police about this). If these things are not a problem, it should be okay to allow for trips to the park that are time limited. The 2 older children can go for up to one hour. If the 7 year old is with them, then, 30 minutes. This should help control the odds that they could get themselves into trouble. This is only if police think this is a safe area for children their age. Once trust is established between you and the children, you can lengthen the time.

I hope this helps...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bonnie thanks for the Advice! I never mentioned that amongst the 10-12 boys they would be the only two girls their and the playground from is a small concentrated area comprising of a basketball court and on the end of the basketball court there is the monkey bars two swings and a see saw. So the girls are always in close proximity to the boys.
Expert:  Bonnie replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information,
I see, since the main attraction for the 12 year old girls would be watching the boys and to keep interaction under control...maybe 30 minutes is enough. It seems more appropriate to have the 7 year old go along for some exercise with older girls being responsible for supervising the younger.
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience: and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your Help Bonnie