proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 14 and half year old daughter was invited to her cousins

Customer Question

My 14 and half year old daughter was invited to her cousin's sweet 16th birthday sleepover tonight. She had said she had wanted to go but now she is saying she doesn't want to go. She says that she will feel uncomfortable because she doesn't know any one there other than her cousin. She also thinks that her cousin would enjoy her party better without her their because than she won't have to worry about including her. Her mother (we are divorced) told her she doesnt' have to go. I think she should go and try it for a bit since she committed to go. I told her to go and if she's uncomfortable to txt me and I can pick her up. Any suggestions?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Your daughter should make an appearance at her cousin's party. She can plan on attending but does not have to spend the night. However if she gets to the party and is having a great time, she may want to spend the night. Her cousin may surprise your daughter and make a concentrated effort in trying to include her in the party events to make her feel comfortable. She can have an overnight bag packed just in case she needs someone to bring it if she changes her mind to spend the night.

:). Happy New Year!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I kinda of told her that but I guess what I am really asking is I should force her to go or not. If she really doesn't want to go should I force her to make an appearance?
Does your daughter have a close relationship with this cousin? How often do they see each other?