How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My twins boys are 16 months old. Their father and I are not

This answer was rated:

My twins boys are 16 months old. Their father and I are not together and there have been many issues with him and his parents between the back and forth with the babies due to a court order. I am noticing that my son Christian constantly runs to me and grabs me as if I am leaving him everytime the bell rings, and when he sees his father or grandparents at the door he will wave bye to them. I am a little concerned about this as he always cries when he leaves my arms into theirs. Any advice or suggestions?
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Your son's actions are completely normal for his age. He is manifesting separation anxiety. He feels most safe with mom. To help ease your son's anxiety when he must part from you to see Dad, have him pack a little bag/backpack with you full of a few toys and books and snacks to take to Daddy's house. You may even want to include a little photo album. When it is time for your son to leave with his father or grandfather, make the transition as quick as possible. You need to be upbeat and positive. Kiss and hug your son, tell him you love him and that you will see him soon, give him his special Daddy's house bag/backpack, and then let him go. However, you must ask your son's father how long the crying lasts when he is with him. Also, you need to know what his overall emotional state is when your son is at Dad's house. Hopefully, Dad is not mistreating your son which could make him fearful of going with him.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate that answer. I do all that you have mentioned. I give him his security blanket, snacks, Barney videos that I pack for their overnight visit with their father. My other son Anthony will turn away from him once in a while but he is more easy going then Christian. Unfortunately, the father and I do not have a great relationship after many attempts of trying he is very demanding and not nice with me. When I do ask questions it seems to him there is never a problem - which, we all know with 16 month olds theres always something that is going on, whether they are climbing, running all over, throwing toys, but he never tells me the truth so unforatunately I will not know anything until my boys are speaking.

Hello and Thank You for responding. Your son, Christian, may be more attached to you than Anthony is. Just keep reassuring Christian that everything will be fine at Daddy's house. You are correct in the fact that you will not really know exactly what is going on at Daddy's house unless another adult tells you or when your sons start speaking. Additionally, your son may feel anxiety and sense tension if you and their dad ever argue in their presence. What you might want to is to pursue counseling for Christian. You can seek a referral from your sons' pediatrician. The counselor will use a technique called Play Therapy to evaluate your son and help him with the transitional times of leaving with Daddy. It may be worth the effort if Christian's behavior does not seem to be improving.

Happy New Year!
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
proexpert37 and 2 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats my next step. Thank you for your advice. I don't even bother with their father, my parents help and transition the boys over since he has cause many problems. Happy New Year to you too!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions