proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Imagine if parents start assigning chores to a child at the

Imagine if parents start assigning chores to a child at the age of 10 or 11. Could the child have already developed a comfort zone for the first 10 years of not doing chores?

Imagine if parents criticize their child for every little thing on how he does each chore, but the child does try his best with a willing attitude. For example, suppose the following is the case: The child puts and adjusts a sprinkler to water the grass and the father later on comes and tampers with it and criticizes the child that no water is supposed to touch cement. All water is to touch all grass. Yet water still ends up touching some cement even after the father tampered with it and when the child calls that to his attention, the father then contradicts himself and says "well, it won't hurt if the water just touches the cement a little bit." Yet it was very close to the amount of cement that was getting water when the child had adjusted it.

Wouldn't it be better that if a child should make a mistake on a chore for the parents to tell the child something like this: "Excellent job son, very good. I'll tell you what, the next time you put and adjust the sprinkler, if you can also manage to put and adjust the sprinkler to where all the water will touch grass and no water will go to any cement, I'll buy you a pizza. What do you say?"

Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Are both parents overly critical of the son in just doing chores or does this carry over into other areas likes school as well? Does the child have many assigned chores? Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It carries over into other areas including school. The child has about 6-8 assigned chores.
Hello and Thank You for responding. A child at the age of 10 or 11 should be able to handle chores even if they have not been accustomed to doing them. They are more responsible at that age as opposed to doing chores at a younger age. When directing the child to do a particular chore, the parent should tell the child exactly what is expected beforehand. Then if the child does not perform the chore correctly, the parent should calmly explain how the chore should be done. The parent need not be overly critical. Parents are teachers as well to their children. They need to teach them the right way things are to be done. We all make mistakes. No one is perfect. When parents are overly critical, the child starts to develop a great deal of anxiety and feels like nothing they do will ever be good enough. They may even start to feel depressed as well. You do not want a child to feel like that.

:)
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor