proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my almost 3year old daughter refuses to go to her grandmother

my almost 3year old daughter refuses to go to her grandmother and claims that she is bad
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Did you ask your daughter what she meant by "bad"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She claims she is a bad witch and she wants to hurt her
Hello and Thank You for responding. Children of your daughter's age do not usually make up such statements on their own unless she has been exposed to "witches" either through a literature book, television, movies, the Internet, or from another person. If you are unaware of any exposure to witches, ask your daughter how does she know about witches and how does grandma treat her when she is at her house. Then explain to your daughter that grandma is not a witch but rather your mom or husband's mom who loves her very much. Then depending upon what your daughter's response was, you may need to bring up the issue with grandma just so that she is aware. Grandma may have innocently and casually said, "If you do not behave, then I will turn into a witch" without even thinking much about it. Your goals are to find out what or who influenced your daughter about witches and to make her feel at ease about visiting grandma.

Happy New Year!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well we read snow white to her is it possible to have taken it from there? Plus now she claims that her unt told her that which is absolutely impossible how can I get her to talk to me without making up stuff?
Hello and Thank You for responding. Your daughter probably picked up the witch idea from the Snow White story. You must read fictional and non fictional books so that your daughter understands reality vs. fantasy as best as she can at her age. Also, you need to tell her that lying is not good because it can hurt other people and make them feel very sad. Hopefully, this was just a one time occurrence and she does not begin a pattern of lying. Children often lie for attention but you must nip this in the bud now.