Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My 4 year old daughter just told me that her 9 year old brother

My 4 year old daughter just told me that her 9 year old brother told her to lick his "tutu" (her word for private parts) and that she did. He denies this but I can tell he is lying. I called his father whom my son lives with most of the time out of state and he believes its not true. However my daughter is so young and innocent and could not make this up. I am scared and dont know how to handle this. I was molested as a child and cant let this happen to my daughter. I just dont know what to do.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear concerned mother,

You have good reasons to be concerned, as this story your daughter has told does have much credibility and only a small measure of skepticism.. The boy's father is no help and only postpones the consequences that may occur. He is in denial.

The next time that your son comes for a visit you must speak to him about this incident and tell how this behavior not proper and must never happen again. You could also have a visit set up with a child psychologist who fully assess him.

Chances are, this was just a fluke - a one-time event. However, a professional assessment would be best. Chances are, this will not happen again, but you must take every step possible, just in case.

It always make sense to protect your children and a professional assessment would be where to begin. Use concern and caution, but do it in a very low-key sort of way, as this will bring the best ad quickes results and resolution to this situation.

This can be fixed, and is probably not an indication of anything much more that improperly exercised sexual curiosity. To be sure, you need the professional opinion of an expert who has examined the boy. I believe that all will be fine.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC