proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

hi, I have son 4 years I enrolled him to pre-school the first

Customer Question

hi, I have son 4 years I enrolled him to pre-school the first two days he was ok the third day he started to cry and he doesn’t want to go again and I felt like he couldn’t sleep that day so I decided to stop letting him go to the school to not get more trouble in the future
I need your advise what is the best way in this situation
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Has your son ever been to Pre School before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No this is first time to him he wants me to stay with him
Hello dear client...since your son has never attended pre school, you must give him time to adjust to the new environment. He will probably cry for a few weeks, yes a few weeks :) but you must tell him that you will return soon and leave without lingering which will only make it worse. Many parents have experienced the same ordeal of having their children cry when being left at pre school. But he must stay there. He will get accustomed to the routines and make friends. Give him more time to adjust than just a few days. He is also probably feeling separation anxiety. But if you can get him through this stage, starting kindergarten will be a breeze!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So What is the best way is it to drop him to school or to stay a little time with him second what is the best practice to prepare him to the school since I intended to enroll him again by april
So here is what I recommend - to get your son prepared for pre school,
try a variety of different schools and
teachers. When you find a school that seems to be a good match, visit
the selected school but on several occasions at different times of the
day with your son. When you finally are ready for your son to attend pre school on a
regular basis, be prepared to stay for a set number of minutes so your child
knows when you are leaving. Tell your child that you will be leaving
after let's say five minutes. Never sneak away from your child. Tell
them you will return after snack or nap time or whenever you plan to
return. Be patient. Listen to your child. If he or
she continues to refuse to stay, then move on. Do not keep trying for
more than a couple weeks if it isn't working. Keep trying until you
find a school that your child feels right about. Let him or her choose a
school. Realize that this behavior is normal. Just as your child has
built trust in you, he or she must also be able to trust the teacher
and school.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Graet how about if i notice that he has sleeping triple because of he is thinking about the school?

and how about if he is crying hard not to go to school should i force him or there is another way better?

Hello dear client,

If he is crying about not going to school, it is part of his separation anxiety because he has never been to pre school. You must make him go if you want him to be there. Make sure you keep in contact with his teachers to see if he is socializing and playing with the other kids as well as eating while he is there. If he seems to be fine after talking with his teachers, the morning crying will cease over time. You have to be willing to let go as well :)

If he seems to be having sleeping trouble because he is thinking about school, just talk about all the fun things that he can do at school. Make a big deal about how he will play and learn and have so much fun. You may want to keep a sticker chart and give your son a sticker for every day that he can go to school without crying and has a great day. After every 5 or 10 stickers, your son gets a special treat, reward , or outing. Make sure you explain to your son about the behavior chart before hand so he understands it as well as what he is working toward. Children will often work really hard to change their behavior when a reward is involved. After a while when you notice a change in behavior for the good that is fairly consistent, you can cease using the behavior contract.