proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter is a senior in high school. I just discovered that

My daughter is a senior in high school. I just discovered that she has been paying for the lunch of another student, once a week when they can leave campus for lunch. She says if she doesn't pay for her lunch, the girl can't eat. I give her her lunch money and while I applaud her for feeling compassion and being generous with this girl, I feel the girl is seriously taking advantage of my daughter. Our conversation ended in a shouting match. I told my daughter I wasn't going to give her money for lunch out and she should use her weekly allowance. Then, she could decide if she wanted to continue paying for this girl's lunch on a weekly basis. What is your advice? How should I handle this situation?
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. It is odd that this other girl is not paying for her own lunch. What you must do for the time being is to give your daughter just enough money to pay for her own lunch on a daily basis. A more drastic step would be to cut out allowance and lunch money and make your daughter take her lunch to school for a while. What does the girl do for your daughter? How does she eat on the weekends? Is she homeless? Your daughter is being used. It does not sound like a good situation. Tell your daughter that if she continues to buy lunch, you would like to speak with this other girl to see what her rational reason is for benefiting from money that you have given to your daughter.