Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

I have a son who will be 22 in May. My husband and I paid

Customer Question

I have a son who will be 22 in May. My husband and I paid for two years of college out of high school, which he partied away. He quit school at 20 and has been working part time jobs, not consistently. When he works he is charged $200 to pay for his car insurance, cell phone and gym membership. He started working full time two months ago and does not pay rent. He has decided to return to school in January and is undecided as to whether he will attend school full time or not and whether he will work full or part time. My husband wants to pay for his school again and does not want to alienate him by asking him to contribute to household expenses in addition to the aforementioned expenses. I feel he has been supported nearly 4 years out of high school already. I believe paying for his school is a privilege not a requirement and I think he should contribute to expenses. This is causing a strain on our marriage. Any advice?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. . Any parent who could afford to pay for their children's college should. Of course, you and your husband would need to sit down with him and let him know that you are giving him another chance and so if he is going back to college he needs to take it seriously.

Not helping one's child through college is setting them up for a life of failure. That's great that your son wishes to go back. Again, he has to be reminded to take his school work seriously this time.