proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

how i convince my husband to listen to me how to discipline

how i convince my husband to listen to me how to discipline our kids?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. How old are your children? What is your discipline style like compared to your husband's style? Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Kids are 8 and 10 years old. My discipline style is " bad cop" vs my husband is good cop. We are not on the same page.
Hello my friend. It is inevitable and completely normal that parents will differ in disciplining techniques. It does put one parent against the other parent. What you and your spouse must do is to accept each other's differences. It is fine to agree to disagree. Then you need to sit down with your spouse privately and determine typical consequences for inappropriate behavior. It does not matter who is right. It matters what is right for the child. You need to create a list of consequences and keep it in a visible place. If your child does something that you cannot immediately agree upon and the consequence is not on the list, talk about it in private. If nothing ever is done because of the disagreements between you and your spouse, your child's behavior will only get worse. Even the youngest of children can sense family tension. You and your spouse MUST sit down to discuss your children and create a discipline plan that you both agree upon for the benefit of your children and not your own egos.Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more assistance.