proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My daughter has accepted a job in a town too far for a daily

My daughter has accepted a job in a town too far for a daily commute. She can't decide if it would be better for her 6 year old first grader to move with her in the middle of the school year or to let him stay with us, her parents so he can finish the school year. She would only be able to see her son every other weekend because of shared parenting with the child's father who lives in another part of the state. She has sole custody. My husband and I are more than willing to have him live with us. We all want what would be best for our grandson. Any pros and cons are welcomed, it is a hard decision to make.
First grade is such a crucial and critical year in learning new skills especially in Language Arts/Reading and Math. If the child stayed at the same school and finished the school year, there would be consistency in his academic development. Who knows what the other school may offer? Also, students who enter a new school in the middle of the school year always feel like an outsider and are treated as one. If the son is really attached to his mom, then he just may need to go with her and attend the new school. Ask the son how he feels about moving or staying. If you have a good relationship with your grandson, it would be fine to let him stay with you and finish the year. Check out the new school though. It might be alright.