proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My seven year old son blames me for his father and me splitting

My seven year old son blames me for his father and me splitting up, this happened two and a half years ago but it is only now that he is talking about it and saying that he wants me and his dad to get back together. i have told him that this will never happen and that me and his dad are still good friends, he is in a relationship and so am I. I need to know what the right thing to sayy to him is because I am losing patience slowly with him.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dear Client. Why are you losing patience with your son? Does he spend time with his dad much? Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi yes he does every weekend without fail. I'm struggling to cope with him going on about us getting back together, I have explained that this will never happen but he just gets upset. I just don't know what to say tto him next. He's a beautiful sensitive caring child and it is worrying me that he is constantly talking about it. He has also said it to my partner which has caused some conflict between myself and him as he says that's not what he wants to hear
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. You probably have said all of the right things to say to your son as it appears you have. If you tell him any more, he will not listen. Therefore, it would be wise to seek professional counseling so that your son can hear the information from a neutral third party source. Contact your son's pediatrician and ask for a referral to a counselor or child psychologist. Such a professional will utilize a technique called Play Therapy to break through to your son and to teach him coping and intervention strategies. That would be the best course of action to take. There is already too much tension between you and your son as well as frustration. Seeking professional assistance will allow your son to realize that it was not your fault.

Have a great day! :)
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor