proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 7 year old daughter just told me today that she had a sexual

Customer Question

My 7 year old daughter just told me today that she had a sexual dream about another girl. It really upset her. Any advice?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Could you define exactly what is meant by a " sexual dream"? I am curious as to exactly what your daughter was dreaming about. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She didn't really explain. She told me she was having sex with her. I am not sure what her definition of sex is though. Could be kissing. I was so shocked by what she told me that I didn't want to ask any specific details. She said in her dream she seemed to like it and when she woke up she felt weird and didn't want to like that. She said it made her feel "yucky."
As her mother, you need to find out what she really meant by sex and go from there. The word "sex" is not a term that seven year olds would be talking about. Did she hear it at school or on tv? Has someone touched her inappropriately? You must find out the specific details so that you will know more specifically how to help her.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will ask her about it. I know she has seen Maxim magazines that my husband had put away. I will ask her who she heard it from and what exactly happened in the dream.
Thank you. After you talk with your daughter, feel free to ask our experts further questions if you are still not sure how to handle the situation. Take care.