proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 10 year son (very artistic) drew a picture of one man killing

My 10 year son (very artistic) drew a picture of one man killing another with a shotgun, the coffin standing ready. When his 7 year old brother asked him about it, he said it was him (10 year old) killing his brother (7 year old).

They are constantly fighting, but up till now I did not think it was more than sibling rivalry, but this seems serious to me. please advise us as perants how to handle it. We have not yet discussed it with him, we are too shocked. They do not watch violance on TV.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about your son's actions which are serious. He may have a vivid imagination but discussing killing his brother is no laughing matter. What you should do is to contact his pediatrician and seek a referral for some counseling sessions for your son with a child psychologist. Keep an eye open for any desires that he may develop about using objects as weapons for the time being. Keep knives and scissors out of reach. You do need to discuss the picture with him though. Ask him why he drew it. Tell him that you want love between the brothers. Additionally, ask his teacher has he produced any violent pictures at school. If so, you can utilize the school psychologist at school as well to assist your son with his violent thoughts. He is picking up these thoughts from somewhere.

Hope this provides you with some insight.