proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I am in my 30s now and working overseas with my husband. Currently

I am in my 30's now and working overseas with my husband. Currently pregnant with first baby. Am a Single child in the family and my mom is a single mother. My mother has not taken my decision of moving abroad very well as she wishes to be close to me as I go through life. I have been always with my family and very closed to my mom. She feels very depressed, lonely, not valued by me, and seems resented at me b/c in her eyes i chose to be far from home (and her). At the same time she does not accept the benefits of me begin on an int'l assignment and blames for her unhappiness. I am very happy with my decision and it would be perefct if had her full support. What is the most effective way to deal withnthis situation? Am concerned about her mental health and well begin. Appreciate any advice.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. Is your husband in the military?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, my husband and I work overseas as we wanted to gain some international experience and the opportunity presented itself which could not miss! We don't regret begin here and feel that was the right move for both of us at this time. The only challenge has been dealing with my mother's feelings and her impression that I don't care about her because I am simply away from her. She has asked me to go back regardless of job loss if I return now.
Your mother should be happy for you and your endeavors. When you marry, your husband becomes more of a priority than more than mother. That is just the order of how things work. Your mother sounds like she is being a little selfish in her thinking. You are doing something to better your life. Keep in contact with your mother as much as you can. Maybe use Skype. She will get accustomed to your absence in time. She needs to keep herself busy and move on with her life like you are doing. Don't feel guilty about your move. Invite your mom to even visit you!