Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent

My daughter sneaks out from the home at night and will not

My daughter sneaks out from the home at night and will not say were she has been or what she was doing . She is 15 and is not going to stop with out some kind of intervention. What can I do.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
You need to get tough with her and stop the disrespect asap. Put locks on the doors and windows and lock her in at night. Even if you have to stay up at night, do it. If you get up and discover her gone, call the police on her. If you have tried everything else and she refuses to communicate with you, you have to be the parent here and get a little extreme. It is for her safety. She is doing it because she can.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I work I can not stay up all night to watch her. I don't want to have the police involved any more than they have been . I think it will just introduce her to worse group of people. Locks on the inside are made to open from the inside. I am looking for something that will persuade her that staying in is better than sneaking out. Is there some kind of exercise that I can teach her to help her decide the right thing to do ?
Expert:  Dr. Paige replied 4 years ago.
Honestly, without speaking with your daughter and finding out what is going on with her motivation, it is difficult to give advice for this online. You said you have already tried counseling which is what I would have recommended if you are looking for a nice and soft approach to this with her. Unfortunately, 15 is a tough age and she has already decided that it is ok to disrespect you. it is not as easy as an exercise or a method to tell you to do. Maybe you can find a different counselor who could find out more of what is going on with her and could offer you an individual approach that would work for your daughter specifically.