proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I am a 37 year old single, male piano teacher. I teach 7 beginning

Customer Question

I am a 37 year old single, male piano teacher. I teach 7 beginning group classes and over 20 private students each week. I enjoy children and piano, so it is a good fit for me, but as you can imagine, it wears me out. Sitting with students for hours at a time and being required to always focus can be stressful on the body. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to swallow when stressed.

I have a little kindergarten student (cute, talkative, sensitive little guy) who began blinking a LOT at a lesson recently. I am concerned that my nervous twitch is having a negative influence on him.

I prayed about it and thought I should wait and see how things go. He came to his next lesson with glasses on and was basically fine. It has been a few months, and he may occasionally blink a little, but it is NOTHING like before.

Also, I feel less pressure in teaching him now. He was in my kindergarten group class all last year, so I thought he was a 1st grader. I thought he needed to be progressing a bit more with reading staff notation, so I emphasized this a lot. However, I realized he is just a kindergartner, so I feel less need to push him.

My question - do you think I should talk to his parents about my nervous twitch? Obviously, this would be humbling and a bit embarrassing. I just don't want to be a negative influence on him.

He loves playing and is doing awesome. We have fun in his lessons, so I think the parents like me ...

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. On the other, I ask myself, "would I want my child to have a teacher that made him uptight?" No.

Do you think I should bring this up with the parents? Thank you!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank You for using Just Answer. Do you think the little fellow was imitating your twitch? Are you self conscious about the twitch? Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess - probably so. Yes, I am self conscious.
I have taught kindergarten and first grade students for many years. If you have a twitch, then the students are going to always be very curious about it. First if all, there is no need to single that one little fellow out and talk to his parents about your twitch. What you can do is to address the classes as a whole. Tell them about how all people are different...size, shape, hair color, etc. Then tell them about your twitch and how you feel about it. Then let them ask questions about it. That will make you feel less self conscious. Open and honest communication is always the best route even at such a young age. For example, I was involved in a very bad accident running. I was banged up from head to toe. I went to school with bandages on everywhere. The students looked in amazement. I explained what happened and we all were fine. When you explain your condition, the kids will appreciate you even more for your honesty!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is actually a private lesson. I teach him 30 minutes every week.

Oh..then it would be perfectly fine to tell his parents about your twitch and what you observed the little fellow doing: imitating you. They can discuss the matter with their own child. :)
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would prefer not to. Think that is OK? Or think it best to talk with them? Thanks for your extra time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wish you would have said you did not want to continue to answer my question rather than just bailing out on me. But thanks for your time, and I will pay you.
I did not bail out on you. My apologies. I stepped out of the office for a moment. If you do not feel comfortable talking with the parents, then follow your heart and instincts. Whatever you feel most comfortable doing or not doing, then stick with that! I wish you the very best in all of your piano teaching. I took piano lessons as a child. I should have stuck with it. 9 years of lessons went down the drain. I cannot play a thing now. You are very admirable for teaching young children! Happy Holidays.