Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hello , I thought my daughter and I had a close mother daughter

Customer Question

Hello , I thought my daughter and I had a close mother daughter bond. In high school she was a cheer leader got good grades. Started to drive gave her a nice car paid for insurance, gas , nice clothes. Her senior year she hug out with a different crowd. Wanted to go to parties every Friday and Saturday night. We let her have a couple of parties here that I wasn't happy about but I went with it anyway. After graduation it got worse. Lied about everything right to my face. I told her I can't take it anymore to go live with your dad. Well she showed me. She moved in with a 39 year old divorce man with a son 1 year younger than my daughter. I thought she was a virgin I had not one clue. Now she is not speaking to me. What does he have to make her treat me this way.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

Your break with your daughter will have to heal over time. She responded to your rejection of her (telling her to live with her dad) by rejecting you completely.

Her current live-in is probably not the cause of her behavior. You will win her back when you accept who she is and accept her boyfriend. She wants unconditional love from you, and until you can provide that, as difficult as it may seem, she will continue to be aloof from you.

You must try a new approach and she will eventually come around.

Let yourself forgive her and accept who she is right now. She will eventually trust you, when she feels you trust her. She really wants your love and fears any more rejection.

I wish you the courage and compassion to bring about a healing resolution.

Warm regards,
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMCH