proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My son just turned 18 and I am not sure of what rules teen

My son just turned 18 and I am not sure of what rules teen his age should have. He is smoking pot and drinking alcohol and pretty much on the wrong track. He is an honor student and has the opportunity to get college paid for, but he won't even apply or write an essay.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. What rules have you already established for him?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only rule he has is to call and check in with me when he is out and to be home at a decent hour. Also if he is caught with pot, he gets his car taken away
Hello and Thank You for responding. You must enforce rules that you feel most comfortable with. If he cannot abide by those house rules as an adult, he should be told that he must find another place to live. Create a written contract of the rules he must follow. Give him three chances. On the third infraction, he must find live elsewhere. If that seems too harsh for you to impose on your son, then you are going to have to live with his actions. There is not much more you can do. What you can tolerate is up to you. Some parents allow the drinking, smoking, and even sex in the home. Others would not tolerate such actions under any circumstance and would not allow their child to sit around the house and to come and go. The child would either need to be working or going to school. Remember, you are still the parent though of an adult child. Keep the authoritative role evident. Do not allow your son to manipulate you.