proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

Hi, I have a 10 year old daughter who continuously talks back

Hi, I have a 10 year old daughter who continuously talks back and always thinks she knows better and also disrespectful in her responses. Often arguing with adults. Could you possibly offer some guidance in how I can fix this as punishments dont seem to work either.
Thanks in advance.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your daughter. You have been giving so much attention to your daughter and her negative behavior and even punishments do not work to make her change. Now it is time to flip the script. Sit down with your daughter and tell her...like you probably already have....how you expect her to talk to adults. Write out like a contract in which you and her need to sign. Then, when she has a great day of being respectful, she gets a sticker for the day. After receiving 10 stickers, and they do not have to be on consecutive days, she gets a special treat or outing. Really praise her when she is behaving. Children often will work harder to improve their behavior when a reward is involved. After several weeks of improved behavior, you may want to change the number to 15 and then to 20. The key is consistency and persistency. You will not see a change overnight but it will happen. Your goal is to get her to be more responsible for her own behavior and to replace the bad with the good behavior by reinforcing the good.

Have a great day!