Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

my daughter is 10. sometimes i dont know if its her horoscope

my daughter is 10. sometimes i dont know if its her horoscope sign or not. but.... everytime something upsets her (when its not the end of the world like her art project she did) got ruined by her sister and she was crying hysterical and i said, its just an object, and we can fix it. and she heard what i was sayin. i said i understand youre upset, and then she just gets louder and more hysterical yelling her sister ruined it. i say "stop, we cant understand what you are saying when you carry on, how is crying and carrying on helping this, i just said id help you fix it, is crying helping?" she responds no. is this mean? some ppl say i dont understand that shes really upset. is this mebeing a mean ununderstanding parent?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

No I do not think this sounds mean. However, I am thinking that there is something underneath her reaction which has nothing to do with the object. Maybe it is that her sister ruined it and she has some resentment towards sister. Maybe she thinks you like sister more than her. This does not have to be true but she just feels that way.

She may be able to benefit from counseling. In counseling she can talk about her deep feelings to a unbiased person. Then her reactions may become more reasonable. The other benefit of therapy is that she will not need to feel she has to share the therapist with her sister. It will be a special situation just for her.

So the key for you is to understand what it is see is upset may be deeper than it seems on the surface.

I hope this helps....