proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My 8 year old granddaughter lives with me and I think her sleep

My 8 year old granddaughter lives with me and I think her sleep pattern is changing. She was never one to go by the book. She never took naps and slept only like 10 hours a night. Now she seems to be only sleeping 8 hours a night! It used to be if she didn't get in bed by 8pm and she gets up at 6:30am for school she would be cranky. Now if she goes to bed at 8pm she is waking herself and me at 4:30am!! I even kept her up til 9:30pm last night and she still woke up at 5 or 5:30am this am. I am not a morning person and after a week of this I am sleep deprived. Is this normal? and any suggestions?
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the sleep issues of your grand daughter. What time does she need to be up to get ready for school? What does she do when she wakes up early? Is she involved in any after school sports? What activities dies she do right before she goes to bed? When is the last time she eats or drinks something before going to bed at night? Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She needs to be up by 6:30am at the latest in order to get ready and have breakfast without rushing. When she wakes up early she wants me to wake up so she incessantly talks at me and asks questions. I tell her to either go back to sleep, read a book, play, or rest....I am not a believer of tv or any electronics in the bedroom. No school sports. She usually watches tv or we spend time together reading or playing a game. She eats about 5pm but usually wants a snack and drink about 7 - 8pm.
Thank you for responding. What you might try is to give her dinner at 6:00 or 6:30 and cut out the evening snack. Try also to limit any drinks because she may be waking up to use the restroom. Also make sure she is not taking any type of nap during the day. As for bedtime routines, she needs to do something calming before dozing off like reading or even drawing. Any kind of play activity may increase her anxiety levels. You also may want to try to get her involved in after school sports....something that involves running. That definitely will tire her out and she will sleep through the night. Also, if she does wake up in the middle of the night...make it a rule that she cannot come into your room. Start rewarding her if she can stay in her room as a starting point. Let's say she can stay in her room until the morning 10 times, and they do not have to be consecutive nights, then she gets a reward or a special outing. Keep track on a calendar by giving her a sticker or a happy face if she has a great night. Children will often improve their behavior when a reward is involved.

Try these things what happens. If you need more assistance, let me know. Have a great day!