How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. Shirley Schaye Your Own Question

Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. Shirley Schaye is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 16yo son who has been gradually becomeing more and

Customer Question

We have a 16yo son who has been gradually becomeing more and more of a hand full. We are divorced for6 years now. I have re married and live in isolated part of north queensland for work. Qur 2 boys live with the mother down in Brisbane. 16 yo character used to be a real boy, happy go lucky and loves to just play and always happy.Last 2 years he has been rebellious towards the mum and very reserved and non directional. He refused to go back and finish grade 11 after the last holidays and dosnt seem to have any direction or purpose. He has a couple of good mates and a couple of bad ones. He gets into alcohole, spirits when he can and smokes marauana as well how often I dont know. Somewhere olong the line he was told that it is good for you.LZast night he and his mates climbed onto a school roof. He fell off drunk and badly broke his rist. He told us parents he fell climbing a fence.The ex wife and I are trying to work it out. She has had enough and I said he can come and live with me for as long as it takes. What are your views?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shirley Schaye :

I am sorry to hear about what is going on. I strongly recommend that your son be brought to an adolescent psychotherapist to be evaluated and treated. During the evaluation the therapist will be able to determine what really is going on. Obviously we can't online because we have not met him. Once a therapist does an evaluation s/he will know what is the best treatment protocol for him.Then you and your ex wife can discuss with the therapist, based on what is going on with your son, what is the best treatment strategy and what is best for him --- to stay and live with his mom or come move in with you.

Related Parenting Questions