proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

I have a five year old whose behavior for the past few months

I have a five year old whose behavior for the past few months has been out of control. He has been hitting his younger brother, speaking very freshly, and telling me he hates me. He seems to be very angry and has now even started to show his fists and pretend kick when he doesn't get what he wants or he gets punished. I have taken away things from him like play dates but to no avail. I am truly starting to dislike him. Today he lost his first tooth and the excitement was shadowed by him freaking out because his brother got a special treat from his nana. He actually slapped my younger one in the face and when asked why said because he got a toy and I didn't. Then later for no reason he tripped my younger one as he was walking by. I am at my wits end! Help
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your son. What grade is he in? How old are his siblings? Are you the mom or dad? Are both parents residing in the home? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My son is 5 we also have a 3 year old boy and twin 14 week olds. He is in half day kindergarten. I am the mom and we are both homr
As a teacher with many years of experience, I can assure you that he is jealous of the twins and picking up aggressive behavior from his fellow male classmates who love to play fight. Make sure that you and your spouse are giving him enough attention. Maybe even some one on one quality time may be needed at home and away from home. He needs to feel special because he probably has low self esteem. With regards XXXXX XXXXX aggressive behavior, you must tell him what's appropriate and what is not. Get right down to his eye level when you talk to him. Part of parenting is to discipline your child. Do not run away from the issue. When you discipline, you are teaching. Therefore, you need to try to focus much more on any positive behavior. Create a behavior chart. You can use a regular calendar. Tell him what you expect from him with regards XXXXX XXXXX behavior. If he has a great day, REALLY praise him and give him a sticker for the day. After receiving 10 stickers, and they do not have to be on consecutive days, he receives a special treat or a special outing. The goal is to make him want to please you by behaving. When a reward is involved, young children often work harder to improve. You want to try to elicit more positive behavior and not give so much attention to the negative. Of course there still needs to be consequences when he misbehaves but ease up a little. With patience, consistency, and persistency, your son will soon turn into the angel that you dream he can be!