proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

my children are 6, 4, 3, and 1 and im trying to figure out

Customer Question

my children are 6, 4, 3, and 1 and i'm trying to figure out if my 3 and 6 year old need to get help. well my 3 yr old is like he doesn't listen he often uses it on himself he doesn't communicate well with others and he's kind of like in his own world all the time. My 6 year old just recently changed to a new school and now he's being very distructive at home. He's biting on all his clothes and ripping holes in them and just tearing up things at home. what should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your children. You certainly have your hands full. What grade is your 6 year old in? Does your 3 year old attend pre school? Do you have any help with the kids? thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My 6 year old is in the !st grade. No my 3 year old doesn't attend preschool. I'm too scared to put him in because of the problems he has at home and in other places. Yes my boyfriend helps me with them but no he's not either of their fathers. I really was wondering would my three year old be under the category of "autism".
Hello and Thank You for responding. Your 6 year old may need time simply to adjust to a new school. If there is a psychologist at the school, discuss your concerns with him/ her. The psychologist can observe your child at school and give you intervention strategies. You may need to set up a behavior contract for your 6 year old. When he is behaving, reward him with a sticker on a chart. After 10 stickers, he gets a special treat or a special outing. Pay more attention to the time that he behaves. Children will often work hard to change their behavior when a reward is involved.

With regards to your 3 year old, a developmental pediatrician could make a proper evaluation. However at this age,it is very normal to have difficulty relating socially to other children. Between 3 and 4, most children make a developmental shift where they develop social skills and outgrow some of the previous habits.

If you need more assistance, let me know! Thanks.