proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

hi, i have a 2 year old girl who is very active and bright.

Customer Question

hi, i have a 2 year old girl who is very active and bright. she good with her foods. the problem is whenever she wants anything and cant get to it she screams and crys although no tears appear, she will stiffen up and shake with sheer anger. when i take her out in her buggy she goes balistic when i stop pushing wanting to get out, and when i walk her she screams again at anything. its got to a point where i hate the school run with my two boys just for the fact my daughter will have a tantrum. other parents laugh and joke saying " oh you been beating her again, or taking her toys off her again" but after 2 weeks i know the parents dread seeing me with my daughter just for the 5 min wait to collect my boys. i ignore her at home and try my hardest when we are out but the frustration really gets me down. i can lock myself away and cry just because i dont know what to do next. she understands a lot of communication but doesnt seem to understand please wait. or why are you crying. im on my last thread please help
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your daughter. Is she the youngest? Has she just started a new pre school? Does she ever have any good days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she is the youngest at 2, my boys are 4 and 8. she dont start nursery till next year. she has been at a childminders for 14 months and no problems arise there. she is great 80% of the time but when she wants or doesnt want something thats when the tantrum starts
Hello and Thank You for responding. Temper tantrums and outbursts are part of your 2 year olds normal development. Your daughter is frustrated when she cannot have her way. She cannot verbally tell you and explain to you what she is upset about so she uses her body. However, she is old enough to understand the words NO and STOP IT. Before you go out in public, tell her how you expect her to behave. If she behaves well, have stickers on hand of characters that she really likes and give her one. If she misbehaves, firmly tell her NO or STOP IT. Get down on your knees to her eye level and speak to her in a stern voice. Do not let her manipulate you and give in to her demands. If you are at home, you can walk away when she misbehaves. When she has calmed down, you can return to your daughter and explain to her how she should be behaving. On the other hand when you are out in public, you cannot just walk away. Firmly grasp her arm and tell her what you expect. I would give my sons a little pinch out in public when they would not behave. Spanking out in public is just not a good idea. A pinch is much more subtle. Nonetheless, the key is persistency and consistency. You are the parent. Your job is to teach your child. No matter how exhausting it may seem, do not throw in the towel. This is just a stage and will soon pass. Your daughter can be the angel that you would like her to be but you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to help her change.

Have a wonderful day with your children!