proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Borrowed my 16 year old daughters mobile with her permission

Customer Question

Borrowed my 16 year old daughters mobile with her permission the other day and noticed that she had sent and received texts to a female friend of a sexual nature - do you think I should talk to her about the content of these texts, or just ignore?
The impression I got from these texts is that they had a sexual experience with each other - were they just experimenting or is it more than likely that she is a lesbian?
Thank you
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You fir using Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the sadness and fearfulness that you are experiencing as a result of viewing the contents on your daughter's phone. I presume that you are responsible for the cell phone bill so in a sense you have the right to know what is going on with your daughter's cell phone usage. The best course of action would be to tell your daughter what you saw on her phone. Tell her that you were not trying to invade her privacy but you were just curious. Ask her about the texts. No matter how she responds remain calm and supportive. The best thing you can don is to openly communicate with your daughter. You are the parent and your job is to be there for her through thick and thin. Everything will work out.

Have a great day.
Fir is for...sorry